Name: Charlotte Jackson
Project Title / Area of Focus: [What is a system?]
For my main practice I aim to create a series of paintings to help me and my audience gain a better understanding of “systems”. To achieve this I will explore systems that are already in place, as well as creating my own. I am going to use acrylic paint on different types of surfaces to create systematically developed work and log each step I take so I can record the process. I also aim to make my own canvases rather than using shop bought ones due to the fact that bought canvases are too textured for some of the pieces I want to create. Home-made canvases will be better quality to paint onto as the material used is quite smooth and flat.
Research and Development Blog address: charjack3.wordpress.com
I am going to use my blog to document what I have (or haven’t) achieved each week and use it as another way to log each step, research artists and reflect on my progress. I will make notes on information sourced from the internet and create a reading list to gather more in-depth research.
After Christmas I am going to travel to London to visit the art galleries (National Art Gallery, Tate Modern, Saatchi Gallery…) and hopefully other places such as Manchester, Liverpool and Wakefield.
The books I am currently reading are:
- “Colour for the Artist” – Hans Schwartz,1968
- “Theory And Use Of Colour” – Luigina De Grandis (Translated by John Gilbert), 1986
- “Abstract Art” – Mel Gooding, 2001
- “Colour After Klein” – Edited by Jane Alison, 2005
- “’Systems’ Whitechapel: Documents Of Contemporary Art” – Edited byEdward A. Shanken
- “’Failure’ Whitechapel: Documents Of Contemporary Art” – Edited by Lisa Le Feuvre