I initially intended to cast 50 resin birds for my piece. However, due to the silicone mould being overused, the figures became harder to cast and would only produce half of the bird. this would then become a longer process, due to the fact that I would have to tape the figure to a surface, pour the resin on the part that was missing and then manipulate the resin into the shape of a wing slowly whilst allowing the resin to set.
Usually, you are only supposed to use one silicone mould for a few casts, however i only made one mould to use for all of the casting. When i made the mould, i used the clay figure yo create it, and because the clay was still damp when the mould set overnight, it dried out the clay and it had then completely disintegrated.
The overall number of birds i cast is 31. However, I believe this is still an appropriate amount to be able to continue with the sculpture.
To finish off the figures after they had been cast, i had to saw off the part off the bottom which is only part of the cast because it is the place where the resin is poured in on the mould. I would then finish it off by using an electric sanding tool to smooth off the bird and get rid off any unnecessary flaws.
After the test bed exhibition, which was where i took in some of the cast figures. I told the people critiquing my work about the idea to paint the birds like actual birds, with the correct coating and details. However, a thought was that painting them like this would make them be a replica of the murmuration rather than a sculpture which is a representation of what they create.
I decided it would be better to paint the birds solid black. This is because of the way i had carried out some of my sketchbook work by black dots resembling the flock. I wanted to continue with a black and white theme my body of work seemed to be following. I used a spray paint can of Montana 94 Matt Black as i could get a quicker, more even coverage compared to using just acrylic paint (I used acrylic afterwards to get into any small gaps that had not been reached.